Full program description
Conversational English for Migrant Workers (Basic Conversational English)
This course equips foreign workers in Singapore with Basic English conversational skills, so as to help them integrate into society and perform more efficiently at work.
They will learn to:
- Communicate using basic phrases and sentences to handle some difficult situations in everyday life
- Read and write letters of the English alphabet and numbers, sight words and simple phrases
- Handle routine duties that involve only basic oral communication in English to do their tasks
Who Should Attend
Foreign workers who work in Singapore
The course covers the following key skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing in the English language:
- Understand and participate in the limited conversation using memorised words, phrases and short sentences dealing with very familiar topics
- Comprehend and follow basic instructions and procedures when given physical cues
- Identify by name some familiar objects, people, events, family members, body parts, calendar dates, clothing, food and objects
- Speak using limited vocabulary related to simple, elementary needs
- Respond to very basic and familiar who, what and where questions with one-word responses or sentence fragments in familiar contexts
- Use basic words and phrases in social greetings such as Hello, Good morning/ afternoon/evening; How are you?, Thank you
- Recognise an increasing number of signs, symbols, labels and captions in the immediate environment
- Recognise vocabulary that communicates some personal and survival needs
- Recognise most upper and lower case letters of the alphabet in print
- Recognise simple vocabulary and short phrases needed to respond to basic questions
- Comprehend and follow simple one- to two-steps written directions with given illustrations
Certification Obtained and Conferred by
Upon completion of the course, a Certificate of Achievement from NTUC LearningHub Pte. Ltd. will be issued to the participants.
- Mapped to Basic Conversational English
Medium of Instruction & Trainer
Trainers will use the following delivery methods to engage you in learning:
- Pair work, small group and large group work
- Listening exercises
- Activity-based exercises
Terms and conditions apply. NTUC LearningHub reserve the right to make changes or improvements to any of the products described in this document without prior notice.
Prices are subject to other LHUB miscellaneous fees.