Full program description
NICF - MySQL Fundamentals (SF)
What's In It For MeDownload E-Brochure
- Be trained in using MySQL database.
- Learn to build and design databases, populate them with data and query that data.
- Grasp core concepts and learn advanced tools and techniques of MySQL.
NTUC LearningHub Course Code: NICF123
SkillsConnect Code: CRS-Q-0030857-IT
This course is the first step in mastering MySQL, the world's most popular open source database. Develop solid understanding and practical experience using relational databases, SQL and the MySQL Server and tools.
Participants will learn to
- Explain the relational database model.
- Describe the features and benefits of MySQL.
- Install and configure the MySQL server and clients.
- Design efficient databases.
- Use Structured Query Language (SQL) to build your database and query data.
- Employ appropriate MySQL tools.
This course will teach you everything you need to know to start using the incredibly popular MySQL database in your Web, Cloud and embedded applications. In learning about MySQL you will also gain an understanding of relational databases in general, learning how to design your database so it's robust and efficient. Furthermore, you will harness that power by learning SQL and using it to build databases, populate them with data and query that data through extensive hands-on practices.
In addition to covering core concepts, this course introduces you to more advanced tools and techniques to help you manage your MySQL database and data. At the end of the course, you will be confident in your ability to use the MySQL database and put your new skills to work.
Who Should Attend
- Application Developers
- Database Administrators
- Database Designers
Introduction to MySQL
- Course Goals
- Course Lesson Map
- Classroom Environment
- MySQL Overview
- MySQL Resources
- MySQL Training
MySQL Server and Client
- MySQL Client/Server Model
- MySQL Connectors
- Installation of the MySQL server
- Setting the root Password
- Starting and stopping the MySQL server
- Using the mysql client
- MySQL Workbench
- Basics of Relational Databases
- Spreadsheet Versus Database
- Entities and Relationships
- Relationship Categories
- SQL Language and MySQL
- SQL data definition language
- SQL data manipulation language
Designing Your Database
- Database Modeling
- Database Design
- Viewing and Evaluating a Database
- Data Types as Part of Database Design
- Numeric Data Types
- Temporal Data Types
- String Data Types
- Character Set and Collation Support
- Data Type Considerations
- The Meaning of NULL
Creating Databases and Tables
- Creating a Database
- Creating a Table
- Showing How a Table Was Created
- Column Options
- Table Options
- Indexes, Keys, and Constraints
Modifying Databases and Tables
- Deleting databases and tables
- Creating a New Table Using an Existing Table
- Confirming the Creation of a New Table
- Copying an Existing Table Structure
- Creating a Temporary Table
- Adding, removing and modifying table columns
- Adding, removing and modifying Indexes
Querying Table Data
- The SELECT Statement
- Creating Views
- Querying Data from an Application
- Exporting and Importing a Delimited File
- Troubleshooting: Authorization Levels
Modifying Table Data
- Manipulating Data
- Inserting records
- Replacing existing records
- Updating existing records
- Deleting records
- Exporting and importing a script
- Multistatement Transactions
- Modifying Data from an Application
- Functions in MySQL Expressions
- Using Functions
- String Functions
- Date and time functions
- Numeric Functions
- Aggregate Functions
- Spaces in Function Names
- Querying Multiple Tables
- Joining Tables with SELECT
- Inner Joins
- Outer Joins
- Table Name Aliases
- Course Goals
- MySQL Curriculum Path
- MySQL Resources
- Final Q&A
Mode of Assessment
Students must complete a paper-based NICF assessment during class.
Certification Obtained and Conferred by
Awarded NICF Statement of Attainments (SOAs)
Upon completion of the course, students will also be awarded with SOAs from SSG.
Upon course completion, participants will be able to
- Describe the features and benefits of MySQL
- Explain the basics of relational databases
- Design an effective database
- Issue MySQL statements from the MySQL command-line client
- Perform database operations by using MySQL Workbench
- Select appropriate data types for your database
- Build a database and tables by using SQL
- Modify the structure of your database
- Create indexes and keys
- Add or update database data
- Query data with SELECT statements
- Join data from multiple tables
- Use built-in MySQL functions
- Export and import database data
- Explain database transactions
- Access a database from MySQL client tools or applications
- Basic computer literacy
- Previous experience with any command-line program
- Knowledge of database concepts
- SSG Funding
This course is aligned to the National Infocomm Competency Framework (NICF) and accredited by SSG with Cat-B Funding (PME Level).
Eligible Singapore Citizens can use their SkillsFuture credit to offset course fee payable after SSG funding.
- Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
NTUC members enjoy UTAP* benefit of up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses with NTUC LearningHub.
* UTAP supports 50% of the course fees paid cap at $250 per year. You must be a union member throughout the course duration and at the time of claim. You must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and have sat for all prescribed examinations. Other terms and conditions apply.
Course Fee with SSG Cat-B funding
|Individual Sponsored||Company Sponsored|
|w/o GST||w GST||Non-SME||SME|
|w/o GST||w GST||w/o GST||w GST|
|Original Course Fee||$2,950.00||$3,156.50||$2,950.00||$3,156.50||$2,950.00||$3,156.50|
|Singapore Citizens & PRs aged 21 years and above||$2,470.00||$2,675.50||$2,470.00||$2,675.50||$1,350.00||$1,556.50|
|Singapore Citizens aged 40 years and above||$1,350.00||$1,556.50||$1,350.00||$1,556.50||$1,350.00||$1,556.50|
- Eligible Singapore Citizens can use their SkillsFuture Credit to offset course fee payable after funding.
- Eligible Singapore Citizens can use their PSEA funds to offset course fee payable after funding.
- NTUC Members can enjoy up to 50% funding (capped at $250 per year) under Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP).
- Absentee Payroll claimable by SMEs: Up to 80%of hourly basic salary capped at $7.50/hr
- Absentee Payroll claimable by Non-SMEs: Up to 80% of hourly basic salary capped at $4.50/hr
Terms and conditions apply. NTUC LearningHub reserve the right to make changes or improvements to any of the products described in this document without prior notice.
Prices are subject to other LHUB miscellaneous fees