Full program description
User Experience (UX) Foundations
What's In It For Me
Learn UX Core Insights, Models and Research Findings
This course provides participants with a research-based and practical understanding of the foundational models and insights essential to the UX field. You will learn that you dont see the way you think you see. You dont make decisions the way you think you decide. You dont remember things the way you think you recall. And you dont move the way you believe you move. Without this foundation, you will design based on common sense...which is often wrong.
Understanding human vision, intellect, memory, and motor function is the baseline upon which every skilled UX professional should build their career; we show clearly how each idea applies directly to design decisions. This course will help you build credibility and improve your results by giving you the knowledge required to present your ideas from a research-based point of view.
We asked our top UX consultants which research findings and models they found most useful in their daily practice. Some findings were new, and the oldest went back to 1908. Taken together, they require a real shift in your understanding of how people function, and therefore a real shift in how you design. These are the foundational models of the UX professional, and they will carry you forward as you continue to learn about the field.
Learn the key research and models defining
- Intellectual processing
- Motor control
Also learn about
- Managing individual differences
- Understanding new research
This course is one of the four courses that will prepare participants to sit for Certified Usability Analyst (CUA)
Who Should Attend
Usability practitioners, website/intranet developers, application developers, interface designers, project managers with the desire to explore and apply scientific usability research to their practical, daily work.
1.5 Days / 10.5 Hours
Understanding user experience (A panoramic overview of UX)
- Core of the field
Visual (You do not see the way you THINK you see)
- It is NOT like a camera
- Visual link analysis
- Wiggly things are distracting
- Objects are inferred and distance is relative
Intellectual (You do not make decisions the way you THINK you do)
- No, you cant do three things at once (and neither can your user)
- Design for human speed
- Using signal detection theory
- Design for arousal and stress
Memory (You do not remember the way you THINK you do)
- It is NOT like a tape recorder
- Design so that they dont have to remember
- Helping users remember
- Engineering schemata
- The power of expectation and bubbles
Motor (You do not move the way you THINK you do)
- No, your movement is not always voluntary and under conscious control
- But how can you walk and talk at the same time?
- Motor programs
- Movement speed
- Train wrecks with proactive inhibition
- Designing for biomechanics and anthropometry
Know thy user (Designing for users, not yourself)
- What are things you need to know about your user? (Free dinner for two if you can add to our list!) Accessibility is not just about vision and making Jaws work
- Careful! the icons you choose may have varied meanings around the world.
Research (You need to read the research literature, but you need to KNOW what to believe)
- Can you believe it?
- Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Summary (Every successful journey needs a roadmap)
- Options for learning more
- Professional level courses
- A lifetime of achievement
Mode of Assessment
Certification Obtained and Conferred by
1. Certificate of Attendance from NTUC LearningHub
Certificate of Attendance from NTUC LearningHub will be issued to participants who have met at least 75% attendance.
2. External Certification Exam
User Experience (UX) Foundations is one of the four courses that will prepare participants to sit for Certified Usability Analyst (CUA) certification. Upon passing the exam, participants will receive Certified Usability Analyst (CUA) certification from Human Factors International, Inc
- How good user experience design is dependent on a scientific understanding of how people function
- How the key research-based models, insights, and principles in the UX field impact design. This includes aspects of human
- Motor control
- Various methods that directly apply these models, insights, and principles to design of interactive applications
- Variation in users that impact design
- Understand the challenges of survey design
- Individual differences
- Cultural differences
- Sources of research and insights for UX professionals
- How to tell if you can believe the research
- Pathways to excellence in the UX profession
No credit or certification pre-requisites required to take this course.
Medium of Instruction & Trainer
Medium of Instruction: English
Trainer: Trainee ratio is 1:20
Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
NTUC members enjoy UTAP* benefit of up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses with NTUC LearningHub.
* UTAP supports 50% of the course fees paid cap at $250 per year. You must be a union member throughout the course duration and at the time of claim. You must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and have sat for all prescribed examinations. Other terms and conditions apply.
Full Course Fee
- NTUC Members can enjoy up to 50% funding (capped at $250 per year) under Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP).
Conducted in partnership with