Full program description
The PET Architect
This class is the most advanced of the HFI Certified User Experience Analyst (CXA) series. It reveals core insights that will enable you to structure persuasion strategies that attack whole markets, create innovative offerings, and ensure the success of applications. The goal of the class is to make you an architect of emotion, engagement, conversion, and retention.
You will learn:
- Build on your PET design knowledge to become an expert in PET Structures
- Apply the PET perspective to strategy, innovation, and application design
- Lead your UX practice beyond the basics of Information Architectures and detailed design
- Lead your organization to success in customer conversion, whether eCommerce, government, non-profit, financial institution, or pharma
- Take full advantage of persuasion design in your website architecture
- Design persuasion flow based on a core PET meme
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for user experience professionals who would like to advance their skill set to cover the higher-level activities of persuasion engineering, innovation, and strategy. This course will also be useful for strategy, marketing, and innovation professionals who have an interest in user experience.
2 Days / 14 Hours
The Pet Architect
1. The Cost of Persuasion Vacuum and Persuasion Clutter
Without PET design we rely on the fantasy that the facts alone will convert. Without a persuasion architect, methods snowball and snarl into an ineffective and trust-busting mess. A PET Architects value is orchestrating the approach from a deep level and then ensuring alignment through detailed design. This first module explores these issues as a foundation for the remainder of the course.
2. Fit into Your SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle)
The PET Architect must know how and when to engage with the SDLC if PET is to be an integral part of a systems User Experience. We review the work stages we go through in PET (Research, Evaluation, Strategy and Design) as a precursor for considering where we place PET work in a typical SDLC methodology. We resolve any questions on fit into your SDLC environment.
3. The PET Research Difference
PET work is based on research providing objective evidence as a foundation for building a successful PET strategy. You will learn the dos and donts of conducting PET research, the importance of PET interviews and how to present the results of a PET analysis. You will practice interpreting PET research results and will understand why strategic PET thinking trumps tactical, simplistic attempts at persuasive design.
4. Getting to the PET Theme
The first major step towards the PET strategy is to identify a PET theme from analysed PET data. You will learn our eleven guidelines for what makes a good theme. You will then practice taking this crucial first step; identifying your own theme for a PET Strategy practice example. Youll be building on this theme to develop your practice example during the next several course modules.
The Core PET Meme
The Core PET Meme ensures a focused message to the customer that will resonate with their deep beliefs and feelings. The entire persuasion effort is given focus by this meme
1. Listening for the Frame
We review what we mean by framing in PET and explore how we might use a range of contrasting frames that resonate with different audiences in different domains. You'll learn what makes a great frame as well as ways in which you can re-frame information to change its persuasive impact. You will then progress your practice example by finding the right frame for your PET Theme.
2. Deriving a Core PET Meme
Anyone can make up a Core PET Meme. But few can make one that systematically works. In this module, we introduce the idea of the meme in PET. You will learn what makes a great Core PET Meme and how that provides a sharp focus for your PET strategy. You will then create a Core PET Meme as your practice examples next step.
3. PET Tools for the Meme
PET tools must be applied strategically and systematically to avoid the danger of a trust-busting mess! In this module, you will learn to select PET tools systematically from your Job Aid that align with your Core PET Meme so as to enhance emotional drives and mitigate blocks. And youll bring your practice example to its conclusion by strategically including PET tools within a persuasive design.
4. Presentation and Evaluation
How to convey the Core PET Meme. How to evaluate the meme with a checklist to eliminate likely failures.
The Persuation Flow
1. The PET Flow
Engineering PET successfully requires understanding the user journey, how it unfolds over time, and where persuasion problems can occur along the way. In this module youll learn about where PET flow can break down and how to use PET persona paths, ecosystem and a channels approaches in analysing PET flow. You will practice conducting an expert PET Flow Commentary for a typical persona path.
2. Adding Resonant Triggers
Getting users onto your website in the first place, keeping them there, converting them and getting them to come back for more are all goals for an optimised PET Flow. You will learn and practice how to add PET tools as resonant triggers to move users along each of these stages of the journey.
3. Customer Retention
Once users have become customers, they are yours to lose. In this module, you will learn three key strategies for retaining your customers and will practice techniques for intrinsically motivating them to stay with you. The Ultimate Practicum During the practicum you will apply the material and methodology to practice PET architecture on a case study.
The Ultimate Practicum
1. PET Strategy
Starting with Executive Intent and an existing PET Analysis, you will design the Core PET Meme understanding how this fit into the development of a market strategy.
2. Innovating Product Ideas
Starting from your Core PET meme you will recommend a concept for a new product or service, experiencing how the PET Architect contributes to a typical innovation methodology.
3. Incorporating PET into Site or Application Design
Starting from your concept, you will create the persuasion flow needed to ensure conversion and then retention. You will see how the PET Structure process overlays the classic user centered design methodology.
Mode of Assessment
Certification Obtained and Conferred by
1. Certificate of Attendance from NTUC LearningHub
Certificate of Attendance from NTUC LearningHub will be issued to participants who have met at least 75% attendance.
2. External Certification Exam
The OET Architect is one of the four courses that will prepare participants to sit for Certified User Experience Analyst (CXA) certification. Upon passing the exam, participants will receive Certified User Experience Analyst (CXA) certification from Human Factors International, Inc.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the criticality of persuasion, emotion and trust (PET Design) in the design of market strategies, product innovations, and application designs
- Create a Core PET MEME that:
- Is tuned with executive intent
- Is tuned with deep PET analysis insights
- Is practical to transmit
- Provides the focus for your overall PET strategy
- Apply PET tools to the Core PET Meme
- Evaluate and improve a Persuasion Flow
- Center on your Core PET Meme
- Select effective, synergistic, and practical methods
- Ensure momentum
- Ensure final conversion
- Embellish with PET triggers
- Build in customer retention methods (sustained relationships)
- Pain control
- Engagement and commitment
- Apply PET Architecture Methods to:
- Market strategies
- New product and service innovations
- Application and web site designs
Before taking this course, participants should have taken the HFI course How to Design for Persuasion, Emotion, and Trust (PET Design) and should understand the persuasion engineering tools described in the HFI PET Design course. This includes:
| || |
Medium of Instruction & Trainer
Medium of Instruction: English
Trainer: Trainee ratio is 1: 20
Full Course Fee
Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP)
NTUC members enjoy UTAP* benefit of up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses with NTUC LearningHub.
* UTAP supports 50% of the course fees paid cap at $250 per year. You must be a union member throughout the course duration and at the time of claim. You must achieve a minimum of 75% attendance for each application and have sat for all prescribed examinations. Other terms and conditions apply.
Terms and conditions apply. NTUC LearningHub reserve the right to make changes or improvements to any of the products described in this document without prior notice.
Prices are subject to other LHUB miscellaneous fees.
Conducted in partnership with